Liverpool continued their relentless pursuit of Manchester City at the top of the Premier League with a 3-1 victory over Burnley on Wednesday night.
Jack Cork’s opener looked set to cause an upset, but goals from James Milner, Roberto Firmino and Xherdan Shaqiri ensured a valuable three points for Jurgen Klopp’s side who can now go top of the table, temporarily at least, with a win at Bournemouth on Saturday.
Although he was at fault for the home side’s goal, Alisson, the summer signing from Roma, more than redeemed himself in injury time with a spectacular save, tipping Ben Mee’s header onto the crossbar, before launching the attack which led to Shaqiri’s game clinching goal.
The Brazil international has not lost in his opening 15 league matches as a Liverpool player; equalling the club record in the Premier League set by Javier Mascherano in November 2007.
Jurgen Klopp’s side have now made their best ever start to a league campaign, while, having conceded just six goals in total, they have matched the top-flight English league record at this stage of a season, alongside Man Utd in 1985-86, Arsenal in 1990-91, Chelsea in 2004-05 and Chelsea in 2008-09.
Speaking about his side’s performance at Turf Moor, Klopp said: ‘I was really happy we could just adjust a few tactical things [at half-time], but I told the players I shouted a lot in the first half but I wasn’t angry.
‘I knew it could be a bit rusty, that’s how it is with a lot of changes, but now we are warm, used to it and we adjust a little bit.
‘We could really bring Daniel into a different position if Div is more central and Shaq more involved in another space. If we could make that a bit more clear then we have immediately better options.’
- La UEFA anuncia los 50 nominados para el XI ideal del año 11th December 2018El 2018 está llegando a su fin, y como es costumbre, la UEFA nominó este lunes a los 50 jugadores que optarán al equipo ideal de este año plagado de premiaciones individuales y colectivas. La Liga española es la que ha que corre con más ventaja, ya que si contamos a Cristiano Ronaldo, ahora jugador de... […]admin
- Manchester United determined to sign Lyon midfielder Tanguy N’Dombele ahead of Manchester City 11th December 2018Tanguy N’Dombele is wanted by Manchester United and Manchester City (Getty Images) Manchester United are desperate to beat Manchester City to the signing of Lyon midfielder Tanguy N’Dombele, according to reports in France. City submitted a €50 million (£45m) offer for the 21-year-old in the summer transfer window but the bid was rejected by Lyon.... […]admin
- Armed Forces Bowl Betting Preview: Houston Will Miss Its Stars Against Army 11th December 2018Houston Cougars vs. Army Black Knights (-3) Sat., December 22, 3:30 p.m. ET Three things to know before betting on Houston-Army: 1. Houston’s offense ended the regular season ranked 11th in the country in yards per play (6.77) and points per game (46.4). But facing Army in the Armed Forces Bowl, Houston will be without... […]admin
- Elite Defenses Emerging to Give Us Exciting Stylistic Clashes in NFL Playoffs 11th December 2018At the 14:11 mark in the second quarter, Sebastian Janikowski chipped in a 37-yard field goal to break a scoreless draw between the Vikings and the Seahawks. While the game featured all the trappings of an offensive boon taking place around the league (both teams have either been funneling collegiate concepts into their system for... […]admin
- First Responder Bowl Betting Preview: Boston College Can Run All Over Boise State 11th December 2018First Responder Bowl – Boston College Eagles vs. Boise State Broncos (-2.5) Wed., December 26, 1:30 pm ET Three things to know before betting on Boston College-Boise State: 1. Boston College didn’t end its season on a high note, dropping three in a row both straight up and against the spread, including games against Florida... […]admin
- Unai Emery wants Arsenal to sign Lyon star Houssem Aouar as Aaron Ramsey replacement 11th December 2018The midfielder is attracting interest from Europe’s biggest clubs (Picture: Getty) Arsenal are keen on signing Lyon midfielder Houssem Aouar and manager Unai Emery sees the young Frenchman as an ideal replacement for Aaron Ramsey. The 20-year-old has already scored five goals in Ligue 1 and laid on three assists in the Champions League this... […]admin
- Cheez-It Bowl Preview: Cal Defense Should Control Game Against TCU 11th December 2018Cheez-It Bowl – TCU Horned Frogs vs. California Golden Bears (-1.0) Wed., December 26, 9:00 pm ET Three things to know before betting on TCU-California: 1. While TCU is 6-3 straight up in its last nine bowl games, the Horned Frogs are just 2-7 against the spread. Meanwhile, the Golden Bears are playing in their... […]admin
- Jamie Carragher mocks Gary Neville over his combined Liverpool-Manchester United XI 10th December 2018The former right-back named two players who can’t get in Mourinho’s team! (Picture: Getty) Gary Neville was ridiculed by Jamie Carragher for picking both Paul Pogba and Eric Bailly in his combined Liverpool-Manchester United XI – even though they aren’t playing for the Red Devils. The two teams face off at Anfield on Sunday, though... […]admin
- Manchester United scout claims club ignored his advice to sign Frenkie de Jong and Matthijs de Ligt 10th December 2018Derek Langley claims United missed out on a host of future stars (Picture: Getty) Manchester United could have avoided their current centre-back crisis had club bosses listened to an axed scout who recommended a host of future defensive stars. Jose Mourinho made no secret of his desire to sign a new centre-back over the summer,... […]admin
- Brian Cashman Says Yankees Don’t Have Spot for Bryce Harper 10th December 2018Cashman said Harper playing first base “isn’t an option” for New York. The Bryce Harper sweepstakes are in full force as the Winter Meetings began in Las Vegas this week, but don’t expect the Yankees to be among the key bidders. Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said New York has six outfielders on Monday, adding... […]admin